Shigeru Miyamoto Talks about Banjo-Kazooie

Shigeru Miyamoto talks about the game's appeal!

"I try not to look at it too much so it doesn't influence me."


Translated by @CentralKaru
Original text sourced from Famitsu magazine (08/05/1998)

Banjo-Kazooie (バンジョーとカズーイの大冒険) 


Miyamoto: Actually, the delay of Zelda is partly due to Banjo. It's so impressive that we can't afford to lose to it.

 

—    If we just look at the visuals, it feels somewhat similar to Mario...

Miyamoto: I thought that if they called it Mario 2, it might sell even more (laughs). It’s a game where I truly felt they had utilized the full potential of the console."

 

—    Is it a game where two people can play at the same time?

Miyamoto: No, it’s a game where you control two characters by yourself. And that’s quite interesting. If Mario is a "makunouchi bento", then this game is a "deluxe makunouchi bento".

¹ The makunouchi bento consists of a ready-to-eat meal packaged in a small wooden box. A deluxe variant offers a greater selection of items and/or a larger serving size.

 

—    Specifically, what makes it so interesting?

Miyamoto: I try not to look at it too much (laughs). I don’t want it to influence me.
The graphic quality and technology are top-notch. There are so many things moving at once. Actually, we had already reached that level last fall, and it was even playable, but we haven’t released it yet (laughs). We’re perfecting it. If you want to enjoy a 3D action game, I think there’s no better game than this. If it gets the necessary momentum, it will definitely dominate the market.

 

—    Will the company that created this game, Rare, continue working with the N64?

Miyamoto: They like the console, so they will probably continue working with it.

 

—    Does it bother you if I write that I’ve just been "influenced"?

Miyamoto: It’s okay. We and Rare are rivals. Rare's level is like a high-quality anime, it's incredible. I don’t know if their style appeals to everyone, but if it hooks you, I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun.

Comentarios

Entradas populares